Calling all MGA 1600 MkII and MkII Deluxe Owners

Photo for Calling all MGA 1600 MkII and MkII Deluxe Owners

NAMGAR has designated the MGA 1600 Mk II and Mk II Deluxe models as the featured car at GT-37, and is extending a challenge to owners of these cars to attend the GT. Two years ago at GT-35, NAMGAR set a potential world record when 34 Magnettes came together in Delevan, Wisconsin.

Unlike the 1500 and 1600 models, the 1600 Mk II has distinct features that make it easily recognizable. The Mk II (and Mk II Deluxe) has a recessed front grill, as well as horizontal rear taillights mounted below the boot opening. (It also has a 1622cc engine, and a 4:1 rear axle, fitted originally). The Mk II Deluxe car is distinguishable in that it has knock-off steel wheels.

These models were made in 1961 and 1962, with the last car built in May 1962, and dispatched in June. It was an Iris Blue roadster (believed to now be green), and had chassis number 109070. The last car made for North America was a red roadster, with chassis number 109069. The total production numbers for these models are:

1600 Mk II

8,198 roadsters, and 521 coupes

1600 Mk II Deluxe

290 roadsters, and 23 coupes

Of these, 6,286 roadsters, 182 coupes, 242 deluxe roadsters, and just 2 deluxe coupes were LHD North American export cars.

The NAMGAR Registrar has a number of 1600 Mk II and Mk II Deluxe cars listed in the Register. The highest chassis number being GHNL 109061, i.e. just 8 cars from the last NA car made, and it applies to a Chariot Red roadster. It is hoped that this car, along with many other cars, will make it to the show field at GT37.

The GT organizers expect to recognize these cars and their owners in a special way during the event. The GT37 registration form and event information can be found on the GT37 website .

Stay current with NAMGAR, MGA news, and more:   Subscribe to updates by email

Reader Comments (22)

Gilbert Clark DuPre, Jr (Chattanooga, TN)
on July 19, 2012 9:42am
I would like to know all the vin numbers of MKII registered. Maybe we should have a seperate mini register.
Gilbert Clark DuPre, Jr (Chattanooga, TN)
on July 19, 2012 9:47am
I see there are many MKII in the classified. Some were 1961 and i can understand that they have been registered as that because they were manufactured from May of 1961 to June of 1962. There a few that are listed as 1960 MKII for sale. How can that be? Are they real. I guess we need to know the Vin Number in the classifieds to help.
Mark Hoffman (Rancho Santa Fe , Ca)
on February 3, 2014 6:39pm
I owned a 1962 MGA 1600 MK II Deluxe from 1967 to 1972 while I was in the Army in Europe and the car in PA. I sold it in 1972 in Pa with vin GHN2L105288. I had to sell as a young family required other priorities. Where is this car??
NAMGAR Internet Coordinators
on February 4, 2014 11:16am
Mark - we have asked the NAMGAR Registrar, Ben Nolan, to respond to your enquiry. However, he is away until the later part of February.
Gilbert Clark DuPre, Jr (Chattanooga, TN)
on February 4, 2014 12:44pm
Mine vin number is GHN2 L 108943. I would like to see a list of MKII registered. If people would send to me their vin numbers I would make a list of Vin, owner, color, date of mfg, chassis number, and rear end number date of ownership etc.
Roy C. Sperbeck (Deptford, NJ)
on February 21, 2014 11:18am
I have GHN L2 108256 1962 MKII Deluxe Roadster. Black / Black interior/ white piping .I need to find the other numbers.
Roy C. Sperbeck (Deptford, NJ)
on February 21, 2014 11:25am
I have a list from 1988 it has about 100 cars and owners from GHN 91240 to GHN L2 8652 .I can try to send this list to who ever wants to use it . Just give me an Email . Hope my scanner works.
Craig (Calgary, Alberta)
on September 8, 2014 11:33am
I just bought a 1962 MGA Mark II. I'm wondering if it is a 'Deluxe'. My VIN is GHNL2106110.

It has the correct wheels, and disc brakes all around. It's in really good condition, but the doors don't seem to line up with the dash, quite right. All else is great!

Engine purrs nicely.
Roy C. Sperbeck (Deptford, NJ)
on September 9, 2014 5:46pm
To Craig : The vin looks like it fits in the list. Deluxe cars have extended mount's for the steering rack.I dont know exact measurement but its about 2 inches from the crossmember ,if you look at a standard MGA its obvious.Also the brake master cyl is seperate.
Brooks Hurd (San Luis Obispo, CA)
on November 9, 2015 10:21am
In 1962, my father bought a black Mk II Deluxe in Columbus, OH. I bought it from him. The VIN is GHNL2 103586. It is currently in my garage. It needs some work, but is intact. The only non-original part is a SW fuel pump in lieu of the SU pump.
Peter van den Boogert (The Netherlands (Europe))
on November 13, 2015 3:09pm
MY ORIGINAL USA IMPORTED MGA MK II roadster.

I am living in The Netherlands (Europe).
Since July this year (2015) I own a red MGA MK II which was originally exported in 1962 to the USA. The first release date on my paperwork shows july 30, 1962 so around that date it was shipped to the USA. On august 28, 1999 the car arrived in the Netherlands after it was bought and exported from the USA to Europe. It was than completely restored.
The VIN number is: GHNL2 100564.
IT WOULD BE NICE IF SOME ONE COULD FIND OUT FOR ME WHO OWNED THIS PARTICULAR CAR IN THE USA SO I COULD GET THE HISTORY COMPLETE.

Thanks, Peter.
Ben & Cyndi Nolan (Elmer, NJ)
on December 17, 2015 8:02am
Peter
Please send your Email address to me ( .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) ). I do have this car registered. I only have information until 1994.
Ben
Peter van den Boogert (The Netherlands (Europe))
on December 17, 2015 8:41am
HI Ben & Cindi,

I am very much surprised to hear from you.
Thanks for picking up my earlier note.
My email address is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Peter.
Carl von Saltza (Freeport, Maine)
on December 23, 2015 6:41pm
I've owned a 62 MGA mkii (GHNL2 108706) for 30 years and would love to attend a GT some year, but it will need to wait until after some restoration work. I am currently searching for some restoration help (body and frame) and would appreciate any recommendations or advice.

Carl
Peter & Anne Tilbury (Surrey, BC Canada)
on December 27, 2015 6:15pm
Carl,

NAMGAR does not have a Chapter Club in Maine, but you could contact the Connecticut MG Club through their web site http://www.ctmgclub.com. They can tell you about shops for restoration work in the area.

Peter and Anne.
Gary J Jarlson (Laguna Beach, CA)
on January 20, 2017 10:38am
In 1964 I bought an MGA MkII that was red with a padded black detachable hardtop. There were noticeable differences from te MGA I had previously owned. The car had Dunlop knock-off disc wheels, disc brakes all around, an oil cooler behind the grill and what I would consider a close-ratio gearbox. First was very long and the RPM splits between the gears were very tight. Also, the carb rebuilt kits I ordered from the dealer were wrong and, after I provided a number from one of the carbs, it took nearly a month to get the special order parts. Was this just a MkII Deluxe or something else?
Peter Tilbury (Vancouver, BC)
on January 20, 2017 4:29pm
Hi Gary,

From your description, it sounds like you have/had was a Deluxe. What was the year of manufacture of the car, or do you have the engine or VIN (chassis) numbers?

Why the carbs would be different, i do not know. This is the first time i have heard of this anomaly.

Any photos of the car?

Thanks for your interest in the NAMGAR web site.
Roy C. Sperbeck (Deptford, NJ)
on January 24, 2017 2:44pm
This is silly do you have the car now ? and do you have any numbers from the car ?
Gary J Jarlson (Laguna Beach, CA)
on January 25, 2017 8:17am
Peter

The car was registered as a 1962 and I kept it until 1967. And no, I don't have the chassis or engine numbers. We didn't even keep track of such things with two racing Lotuses I had been involved with. I don't remember the exact differences involving the carbs. The needles and jets were different size when compared with what the dealer's parts department said were standard. To me SUs were SUs, the only real differences being the throat sizes. Now that I've been thinking about the car, a couple of other things come to mind. When I did a valve job, the machine shop called to say that a couple of valves needed to be replaced but the ones from the dealer were the wrong size, they were noticeably smaller. The guy said they had also compared the port size to another head they were doing and those measurements were different. I drove another MKII at the time and the gearbox ratios were very different. I'm guessing the factory installed oil cooler was standard on MkII/Deluxes.
Gregory Williams (New Jersey)
on July 7, 2017 9:00am
I'm currently restoring a 62 MKII which we think is a Deluxe because it has disk brakes all around and the distinct body features. However the motor is a 1600cc not a 1622. Were any produced with the smaller motor? How can we confirm its a true deluxe that might have had a different motor installed at sometime.
Peter & Anne Tilbury (Surrey, BC Canada)
on July 7, 2017 5:10pm
Hi Greg.

Thanks for your interest in NAMGAR, and for restoring an MGA. Firstly, are you sure the car left the factory in 1962? Do you have a Heritage certificate for this? Many owners in North America refer to their car by the date it was first registered, not by the date it was made.

Is this a roadster or a coupe? We ask because 242 Mark II Deluxe roadsters were made for NA in 1961 and 1962, but only 2 Mark II Deluxe coupes were made in those years. All Mark II cars had engine numbers starting 16GC, and were numbered from 101 to 8851.

Do you have a chassis number to give us? The Mark II goes from 100352 (March 1961) to 109070 (May 1962).

The Heritage Certificate should confirm the engine number that was originally fitted to this car. It can be obtained on line through the British Motor Museum. hope this is helpful to you.

Peter and Anne.
Greg Williams (New Jersey)
on July 13, 2017 8:43am
Hi Peter and Anne,
Thank you for your response. I don't have any info on the car. It's been in a shed for 30 years. She was a mess but we are 85% complete on her restoration. I believe the cars original color was OE white / black interior and this is a roadster

The numbers I have are
VIN - GHNL 2108594
Engine - 16GA U 3055
Body - B37323

Tell us what you think

We welcome your feedback! Enter your information below to add a new comment.

Are you a NAMGAR member? Login before posting your comment

Name: (required)

Email: (required, will not be published)

Location:

Your Website Address / URL:

Your Comment: (required)

Remember my personal information for next time

Notify me of follow-up comments via email

Enter the word you see below:

Comments may be held for moderation. If your comment does not appear immediately, do not repost. We reserve the right to remove any inappropriate or off-topic comments. Want others to know who you are? Register a Gravatar.

Your privacy is important to us. Read our privacy policy

Last updated on February 10, 2012.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...